Monday, August 25, 2008

Here's an underwater video of squid on the manta ray night dive in Kona Hawaii. It was taken with a Canon G9 camera...



Bigfin Squid in Kona Hawaii from Steve on Vimeo.

Hi there, here's a short video clip I took on the night I got the underwater photos of the squid I've posted earlier. They change color almost constantly. They seem quite curious about the goings on of the night dive. I took a bunch of pictures in a few minutes time on that dive, and a few of them turned out, so I've got a bunch of color variations on the picture's you'll see on the blog.

I wish we could find these all the time on the night dive, they seem to be showing up more often as time passes, but for now it's really a special event for us.

Aloha,

Steve

7 comments:

Ken Albin said...

Beautiful! Squid are probably one of the most underappreciated of all sea creatures. Their communication skills by color changing and their intelligence fascinates me.

Anonymous said...

Great video, Steve! I remember dissecting something like these squids back in middle school and discussing the causes for the color transitions. Nature is just amazing. =).

Anonymous said...

Most interesting video and I had no idea how reflective and quick color changing they were.

Matt said...

Wow, you captured a very nice scene underwater. That's incredible!

Chad said...

I really enjoy reading your blog. I hadn't seen your videos before. I watched them all. Wonderful!

Thanks for posting them.

Anonymous said...

very cool pictures

Steve said...

Thanks everyone! I've got another clip or two of the squid that I'll be posting some day down the line.

Aloha,

Steve